Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Too much exposure?

I've been thinking recently, especially after checking Klout (I know, I know; it isn't really a definitive thing, but it's a pretty good indicator) of what my Twitter feed is really about. I tweet about all kinds of things, though I'd like to believe I focus more on Photography related topics.

Klout didn't even mention 'photography' as an area of influence for me, but then says I have influence in 'publishing,' 'movies' and 'cafes.' My reaction: "What?"

 What am I supposed to gather from this? The only time I've ever tweeted about 'cafes' is to promote my post on Snapitude about Maid Cafe...and it actually is a pretty popular post. Is that what bumped it so much? And then there's film and publishing..I have no idea what that's all about.

But I thought a bit further...the whole reason why I even started this blog is so that I could keep Snapitude condensed to just the topics of travel and photography - and I know I'm being redundant here and have said all this before. I don't mind this blog being a more broad platform for me, and my Twitter is also another relatively broad platform. I don't want to go through the trouble of having a locked account with my buds and a public account that is all proper, spiffy, possibly boring; so I've been engaging as many different people who are of interest to me as possible (without building it up to where I'm following 600 people). That means I am in the loop with artists, toy makers/distributors, other folks in my blogging network who are in the video games, film or anime industries, photographers, Disney fanatics and yes, publishers/writers/others. Now my concern is...is it too much?

I have a hard time believing that there is "too much" when it comes to Twitter. You have an account which is supposed to produce a stream of your content/thoughts/words, and whoever is interested in you could follow you. Wouldn't people want to have a more personable relationship with the folks they follow, and learn about the other's interests? This is where I think it's alright to be a freelance photographer and writer like I am but also tweet about Disney, toy reviews I've submitted to Tomopop or even cute puppy images to brighten up someone's morning.

I just wonder if I'm really reaching out to the right people. That and I always worry that in terms of "professionalism" whether or not having "geeky" things show up (or even labeled a pervert for being a toy blogger) on my feed would prevent me from getting a better gig. What if a potential client or employer looks at my feed and goes, "dang this girl is a bit weird, she's into Disney and Japanese plastic figures - better just stay away."? It's pretty much my biggest fear, and it's probably the reason why my influence is lower than it could be cause I tone down my broadcasting quite a bit.


It's definitely some food for thought, and I've been looking more into Google+ lately, where professionalism is most definitely a "balance" with a "capital B." The crowd I have encountered there seems much different, and the "circles" feature makes it so easy to sort who you broadcast to (as well as who you filter out). There, the trend seems to be that people prefer to know a bit more about the people they're following as well as keep up with their work, but don't like too much self-promotion. I learned this today with a small-scale poll conducted during a webcast, and I'll have to keep it at the front of my mind in the coming months.

I have some big plans. First, Snapitude is getting its own domain and I'm going to drop the"WordPress" from the address. I'm keeping the WP platform, but the address will be mine! With a new site comes a lot more pushing of my own work, like building my portfolios and publishing them online. Then I'll really be putting my social networking to the test...

That said, I'm happy with the relationships I've maintained through the power of Facebook, or Twitter, and will be forging via Google+ now that I'm diving into it. I just hope they don't leave me swimming upstream.

(Realistic Disney Princesses via Jirka)

No comments:

Post a Comment